Thursday, August 03, 2006

Keeping Up With The Walkers

Just so that I don't fall too far behind Joe in the Cool-Ministry-Leaders-Doing-Cool-Stuff department I've decided to try planning a trek up one of the mountains by Canmore. I know it's not a life-changing trip to the Holy Land or anything, but it's a start. The mountain is called Yamnuska and is one of the most climbed in all of North America. The southern face is perfectly built for rock climbing (not on this trip though) and there's a perfect trail around the eastern edge for summiting. What we will be doing is called a scramble - some pretty steep slopes with loose rock. The route take about 2-3 hours up to the 2240m summit (less to get down...especially if you jump off the face!).

The plan is to leave Edmonton early Saturday Aug 12, drive to Yam, climb and descend, and then camp Saturday night at one of the campground in Bow Valley Provincial Park. Sunday we will leave open to hang or head home early if need be. If you are interested let me know soon so that I can plan for campsites and vehicles.

Maybe I'll even come up with a neat little message relating to our ascent up the mountain...take that Joe!

4 Comments:

At Thursday, August 03, 2006 9:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! You must do it barefoot, like a Hobbit, and with no water, only a block of sea-salt to lick on the way up... and you must sing the score from "the sound of music" when you reach the top... that's when the real ministry happens... where's my scotch?

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006 8:05:00 AM, Blogger Chuck said...

I was thinking "Baby, there ain't no mountain high enough..." But you are the master!

 
At Saturday, August 05, 2006 11:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome!!!!I want to go but I will have to let you know. Call me if it gets to be that me going or not would affect a decision.
love Shirley

 
At Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:43:00 PM, Blogger Paul Seburn said...

them there hills you's is headin' to sure do sound like holy land to me. many less rockets and the like, so maybe more holyt..me i'm heading down to somewhere near the folk fest to hear the mighty Bruce close with "mystery"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home