Saturday, April 09, 2005

Modern Day Legend

Last night I went to see a blues legend live at the Arden theatre: John Hammond. This man is one of the greats of blues and at the age of 63 he's still layin' it down. I mean the guy is unbelievable on steel guitar! He almost owns the W. C. Handy Blues award for Acoustic Guitar and he knows all of the greats: Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy, Sonny Boy Williams, and has recorded with most of them as well.

Listening to someone of that calibre made me realize how weak the music industry is today. There are very few new "artists" (used very loosely) out there that are even in the same league as these guys. I'm sure the lint in John Hammond's navel could play a better kazoo than any of the top 40 artists out there today (and it's pretty hard to screw up the kazoo). Even the guy who opened for John, who was pretty good in his own right, paled in comparison to the master.

All this to say that I was reminded of what real music is and the sad lack of talent being rewarded by record labels these days.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 12, 2005 9:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chuck, I have to agree with your last statement. Everytime I hear some of these "so called" musicians, I can't help but be bothered that an entire generation of people are being rasied not even understanding what good music is.

Reflecting back on my years of learing to love quality music, I owe a big thanks to my Edmonton friends. For me, contemporary christian music was just as much of a limit as todays hits are to the radio generation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home