Tuesday, November 14, 2006

2 For 1

A rare double dip for me today, but I had to comment on something. I'm reading through Exodus right now and, although I've read it many times, I am struck anew with the strangeness of it all. I've been contemplating my connection with my Jewish roots (in regards to Christianity, not heritage) and how it's a shame that our freedom in Christ has lead us to completely free ourselves from our past. For instance, Christ says in Matthew that if our righteousness does not exceed that of the Pharisees then it is worthless. How can we exceed them if we don't study the past which informs their thinking. I feel that we miss out on a huge part of our religion when we see the Old Testament as no longer applicable...but that's another rant altogether.

What struck me this time is how far removed I am from the world of the Sons of Israel. Yes, part of it is the ocean of time between us, but a lot of it is the change brought about by Christ. No longer do I have to sacrifice animals or make atonement for objects or myself to commune with God. I am also struck by the realness and ferocity with which God acted amongst the people of Israel. So many of the laws in the Torah were punishable by death (didn't keep the Sabbath - put to death, mixed the same formula of incense used in the temple - dead). And when God saw the people worshipping the calf, Moses went and gathered the Levites and slaughtered a bunch of them. Only when reading these accounts do I truly start to understand the burden which has been lifted from my shoulders...and the juxtaposed responsibility!

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:12:00 AM, Blogger Erika said...

They needed Cheesies. :)

But really, good post. I totally agree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home