Friday, November 03, 2006

Old Age and Waterslides

It's sad that at the age of 25 I'm starting to feel old in some regards. Okay, before the onslaught of comments from smart...old people (and Amanda...kind of a backhanded comment how I singled you out and yet kept you separate from the old people, man I'm good) begins I'd like to say that I'm not complaining about how old I am and I realize you are all so much older than I. Mostly I've noticed it with volleyball where I can barely keep up to my players even though I'm the one making them run from the comfort of my lawn chair and megephone. I can no longer run around like a ninny for hours at a time (maybe that's a good thing) and the next day the muscles don't quite bounce back the way they used to.

One good thing that I have noticed is that I have become a much wiser player, placing balls where people aren't and anticipating opponents moves before they happen. These are things that can only come with years of practice and repetition. I always used to marvel (when I wasn't ninny-running) at how my 40+ year old coaches could still make us work so hard when their age had denied them the stamina and speed we possessed. And now I get to understand that firsthand as I dig up the best they can offer and deftly place hits just out of the reach of their pathetically outstretched fingers.

If I was any more of a contemplative I might be able to find some greater metaphor for life here. Meh!

2 Comments:

At Friday, November 03, 2006 2:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there was an influential rabbinic school which forbade "children under the age of 30 years" to read certain passages of Genesis, reasoning that such "children" were too immature to comprehend what was written...

 
At Friday, November 10, 2006 8:46:00 AM, Blogger Paul Seburn said...

hey chuck is there volleyball happening tonight? Friday? I have little left but wisdom when it comes ot the sport.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home