Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Lost Art of Buddyship

So it turns out that I'm a hypocrite. Who knew? After preaching vehemently to Erika (sorry) about how we need to be more intentional with relationships at The House and how we need to place Christ's love as our default setting instead of humor and sarcasm I went and left my phaser on stun (or is it kill) with my buddy Jorgen. It really got me thinking about the nature of relationships and how they change as people grow closer.

It all reminds me of the lost art of buddyship, a concept by I can't remember who. Essentially, relationships start based on common interests and progress to the point where a crisis of some sort takes place. While some relationships stay in the common interests stage or the second, I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you-scratch-mine stage, these don't get very deep. Friendships that turn into intimate relationships (I won't say always) always (oh...look at that, I said it) require a point where both parties need to decide if the relationship is worth the effort and potential pain.

Now somewhere along the line things change from a place where jokes and sarcasm are fine because there is enough distance in the realtionship to avoid hurt to a place where those same harmless jokes become scathing jabs. Where is this line? Is it before, after, or is it often the cause of the crisis that forces introspection? Whatever the case, it is vital that we are aware of this change because the closer we are to people the easier it is to hurt them and the deeper those hurts can reach.

Sadly, this whole issue was one of the causes that led to problems at the Sol Cafe: people wanting to build meaningful community but not putting in the effort required or changing settings on the old phase pistol. I also feel it is going to be one of the key factors in the health of The House as I have already seen glimmers of it in the cramped space of my apartment as we try to build this community.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 26, 2005 6:05:00 PM, Blogger Lightfoot said...

Thanks for posting this, it has made me think a little about my own state of affairs. I wonder though, about how outward and apparent this decision of whether a more intimate realtionship is worth the effort and pain really is. I have often found that when both parties are called to task for some reason, and agree it is worth the effort, it is an unspoken, subconscious, and immediately mutal agreement. However, when one decides for, and the other against the furthering of the relationship, a lot of pain is to be had by the poor sap who thought it was worth it. Perhaps this thought is another one of the fruits of my insanity, no?

 
At Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:32:00 PM, Blogger Matt Thompson said...

Is no coincidence, then that James, ever the practical bastard, speaks (heh) so eloquently about the power of the tongue? jas 1:26,27: "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." likewise, later he talks about the power of the tongue in community: "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." (3:9-12) Ouch. Keep watch of errant speech...

 
At Friday, April 29, 2005 3:18:00 PM, Blogger Rach said...

I have a concern, being the inside-outsider that I am. This is probably something that I could just ask you about...but...lazy as I am... I am concerned that the House is going to become such an amazing tight-knit community that even those of us connected you you guys on the outside will not be able to have an "in". And it will be so hard for anybody to stop this because it feels so good to be tighter friends than the TV show ad it's so subtle until it becomes a part of you that you can't give up...and I'm rambling. Is this even making sense? The desperate ramblings of a inside-outside friend. PS Do you guys wanna hang out with us guys this weekend?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home