Tuesday, June 14, 2005

And Yet...

I went to a "real church" for the first time in a while this past Sunday. It was Southgate Alliance and I was amazed at how difficult it was to gain anything out of the service. It was Rachel who commented earlier that she is ruined for that kind of church.

And yet...

People still gain something from the worship and the simple, spoon-fed message of the sermon, and God still moves in that place. This realization really struck me when we took communion as I was reminded of the same gift of grace, which is extended to all of us by the same, unchangable God. My understanding of God does not affect Him, nor does my perception of worship, teaching, giving, service, community, relationships, etc., etc., etc. He is still the same God in relation to each of those people I took communion with and I sensed our connection.

And yet...

I do not feel that I am the same in relation to my God as many of those same people. There is more to this relationship with God than 2 hours on Sunday. The Christ of the NT calls for us to sell all we have, give to the poor, allow the dead to bury themselves, take up our cross, become servants, become slaves, turn the other cheek, lay down our life for a friend, go the extra mile, pray for those who persecute us, and more, and more, and more. This is not namby-pamby stuff. And I don't see it in churches, or the desire for it in its members.

And yet...

God works. How do I encourage these attitudes without sounding cynical or condemning, that's how it comes out? Maybe it should be cynical and condemning. Just because something is offensive doesn't make it wrong. Christ was extremely offensive.

And yet...

You might be able to tell by now that I am wrestling mightily with this issue. I desire so strongly to kick people in the arse and break them out of a stagnant Christianity...but I find people don't respond so well to arse-kicking in general.

I don't really know what kind of response this post warrants...more of a thought process in digital ink really.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:49:00 AM, Blogger Rach said...

I struggle so intensly with the feeling that the way I do church is "better" or more God focused, that I have more hunger for knowledge, and yet, I look at these people who show up there Sunday in and Sunday out and have a genuine desire to worship and grow. How can they do it in that setting? I do not know. But how then can anybody learn the ins and outs of physics from a professor? I also do not know, but I do know that they do learn.

 
At Wednesday, June 15, 2005 10:11:00 PM, Blogger Lightfoot said...

"Its got a logic that you just can't refute...I'll dispense justice with the tip of my boot...they'll get a kick in the arse, a kick in the arse" - Moxy Fr

 
At Wednesday, June 22, 2005 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Paul Seburn said...

Hey,

Just remain humbly creative as you venture into new waters. don't sweat it over those who prefer to "stay at shore".

I've concluded that god is simply everywhere...even in church. I try to remember that all people and places are sacred, what makes it hard is when a leader or cultural group try to suggest, convince or co-erse others into thinking that their way is somehow more valid or sacred than others. "and yet"...

great post Chuck. can you send me your email?

paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home