Wednesday, January 25, 2006

More Butter Please

I feel spread thin these days, or at least that I am on the verge of being spread over too much toast. This feeling comes in relation to people, not work or time. It may come as a revelation to some (hopefully not a huge shock) that God has given me a huge heart for people. The reason this may come as a surprise is that my love for people is coupled with an inherent need to appear cool, in control, and stable. I think it all comes down to a fear of vulnerability and whatnot, but we will ignore that for now. Thus humor and sarcasm are my oft used allies and I come off as an insensitive jerk (back me up here Rach). But when it comes down to it I empathize strongly with people and hate to see people I care about suffering, including those I don't know well yet.

I don't know if it's the increased intimacy afforded by The House or just a swing in the cycle of life, but it seems as if there is an inordinate amount of hurting people around me right now. I feel for them more strongly than I would for my own self in similar circumstances. I feel like it is my obligation to help everyone, but I can't and so I worry that people will miss out on care.

I know I can't help everyone and I'm not saying I take the blame, but this is my heart and it hurts that I can't be there for everyone.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:48:00 PM, Blogger Rach said...

Compassion fatigue. Those in ministry feel it often, and I know this because my father has. I don't think you are an insensitive jerk :) and I think most of the people in your life would share in feeling that you have gone above and beyond in caring for those who are hurting, and I know you will continue to do so. But you are not the only one that God has placed in the lives of those hurting, and while you provide invaluable support and care for them, the sole responsibility for their happiness, or perhaps their joy, does not rest on your shoulders. He will care for them, and while he calls you to help, you do not have to bear that burden alone.

 
At Thursday, January 26, 2006 7:33:00 AM, Blogger Erika said...

Yeah, what Rachel said. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home