Friday, November 17, 2006

Stuff You Don't Care About

9 losses down, 1 to go. Most definitely the least favorite volleyball season of my illustrious career is finally, mercifully coming to an end tonight. In my 9 years as a player and 4 years coaching I have never enjoyed a season less. In fact, for the first time in a long while I am thinking about not coaching next year. Every year I've coached I have bemoaned the fact that I am not playing, but I've always been able to justify the sacrifice because I love the game and I love teaching it. However, that did not hold true this year. We will see about next fall.

It's not so much that we will most likely end the season without a single win (we actually had one, but defaulted thanks to our athletic director...but I'm not bitter), but rather the manner in which those losses were acquired. I've never been part of a team (volleyball or not) with so little passion and drive to win. I can't even count how many balls landed on our side with 6 people standing stone still, watching it. One of the biggest problems every year at Taylor is trying to build team dynamics with all new players...every single year. We have 9 girls who have never played with each other compared to teams like Augustana with 4 5th year players. Throw into the mix a couple of girls who are maybe a little too competitive and show it by yelling (correct me if I'm wrong, but I find that yelling doesn't go over well with women) and we have a wonderful season of fun and happy happy pieces.

But tonight the flaming, twisted mass of enjoyment comes to a screeching final inferno of wheeeeee...!

2 Comments:

At Friday, November 17, 2006 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Erika said...

... and then freeeeeeeeedommmmmmmm!

Looking forward to having you back. :)

 
At Friday, November 17, 2006 4:06:00 PM, Blogger Maria said...

i'm sorry chuckie. i would have played for you if i actually even lived in alberta. that sucks though. coaching this season for me is going much better than last season. Haven't lost a game yet. I'm gald for your sake your season is over. I know I told my girls that if they weren't ready to work that they could head out the door right away. Sad when it has to happen, but at least you know the players want to be there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home