Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Rant Alert

No post for a bit and here comes a rant...deal with it.

After 2.5 years of working in a cafe I still am unable to decode the mysteries of tipping in the average human psyche. I've tried to figure out why some people come in for a few minutes, don't ask anything of me and are completely pleasant, and then leave a large tip at the end while others spend come in, spend hours on a computer, ask a hundred questions, order 17 drinks, are rude about everything and leave nothing! One guy today came to pay and spent 2 minutes counting out change for his tab (okay, doesn't sound like much, but think about standing still for 2 minutes watching someone laboriously count metal disks while you need to be doing 10 other things). Then, out of his TWO handfuls of change he takes the one remaining penny and drops it into my tip jar! What does that say?

I'm not spending anymore time trying to figure this out

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:55:00 PM, Blogger Lightfoot said...

Maybe it was one of those 'the tip is in your mind' type things. Or maybe it was a 1926 far six king george penny! See, this barista business is big bucks - you never know when you are going to strike it rich! Congrats, man, I'm glad I'm the first to get post about your newfound wealth. This is like that movie, you know the one where the guy tips the waitress his lottery ticket...

 
At Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:42:00 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

I think I've figured it out. The people who leave large tips also or have in the past worked in the glamorous world of the service industry and feel your pain.

 
At Thursday, March 01, 2007 2:02:00 AM, Blogger Rach said...

Ok, worst tipping story - tag you're it, I'm next!! I have many....perhaps I should reconsider my profession?

 
At Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was either the penny or the 5 cent Canadian Tire money...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home