Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Hello From Lanzhou

I'll try to write this quickly on my defunct keyboard (made in Canada no doubt!). We made it to Hong Kong after our sweet 14 hour flight (just getting over the jet lag now). We made it through customs without a problem and met up with good old Mack, who was holding up a cardboard sign with our name on it, just in case we couldn't pick his pasty white, 6'4" self out of the crowd of 5' asians.

I've never felt so much like a sheep in my life after following blindly as Keith led us from one bus to another, down streets, through shops, etc. He knows HK pretty well so we just let him work his magic and will try to make up by leading some of the rest of China. We stayed at the WYAM base, which at least had AC as it was around 30C and 199% humidity (give or take) and was cheaper than anywhere else in HK at $70 a night (that's HK dollars - equivalent to $10). We got to partake in their morning worship service, which was a great way to start the trip.

Had some sweet BBQ pork and mango juice the next day and did some shopping for odds and ends. HK is pretty managable since englich is everywhere and most people speak it too. We will be spending more time here on our way back so picture taking was minimal.

We barely caught our bus to cross the border into China and took a flight to Lanzhou, which is very central China and about 2.5 mil. The Lonely Planet guide says about Lanzhou not to spend more than a day here if not absolutely necessary. Good thing we plan to visit the surrounding towns as Lanzhou is pretty plain. We met our 'host' who showed us our hotel ($14 a night, which Mack still sees as expensive compared to the rest of SE Asia) and took us for dinner. We plan to go with he and his wife to visit a Muslim town and a Bhuddist one later.

Today we bought some mangoes (they'll nevwer taste the same back home) and dragonfruit. I think I managed to pull off the transaction without getting too ripped off. For luch we had noodles for 3 kwai (about $0.40!).

It's quite fun being the center of attention everywhere you go. It's also interesting when someone tries speaking English with you. Where we had noodles today I talked with a lady who knew a little English and I tried responding with my little bit of Chinese. It was great!

The atmosphere of Lanzhou is much more laid back than that of HK and I can't wait to experience small town life in Linxia, where we plan to go tomorrow.

I think that's all I can think of for now and I don't want to waste time as it costs a whole 3 kwai for an hour of time here (again about $0.40 for an hour!!!). I forgot to bring my camera with me to the internet place, but I will bring it next time and have pictures of Linxia and the rest of the trip thus far.

I'll probably post again over the weekend so until then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home