Friday, April 29, 2005

Brought To You By The Letter M

I actually started writing this post as a comment on Matt's latest post with the crazy title: Dreamscape something something something. I decided to post it here becaus it got really long for a comment and plus this way I get all the credit...mwahahahahaha.

I don't totally agree with your assuming that there were "non-Christians" in the Corinthian church, just as I don't agree with those who assume that there weren't. As you said, that is not the point of Paul’s speaking on communion in this passage. I think what is more prevalent is Paul's teaching on the Law and faith in Christ, namely that those who are still under the Law will be judged by it, while those who know of the freedom in Christ are judged by their faith (whether they choose or reject Christ).

As to how this relates to communion, I think that the Great Banquet, which is what the Last Supper foreshadows, is open to all who come in the name of Christ. Here on earth the table of fellowship is a way of celebrating that "not yet" event in our "already" saved state, a way of partaking in our inheritance now. God wishes this inheritance to be shared among all his children and the invitation must be extended to all.

How can we invite people into something without showing them glimpses of it? "Come into the blessings of God...oh, wait, you can't come in until you sign this contract...hey, no peeking"

I think the crux of the matter, and I guess the real point I'm trying to make, is that the banquet table is to be inclusive not exclusive (as Matt said). Does this mean that I have the same understanding of communion as a non-Christian or that we gain the same benefits? May it never be (actually, I guess I would want it to be at some point)! While I, as a Christian, share in the suffering, death, and resurrection of my Lord when I partake of communion, a non-Christian still participates in the communal aspects and learns the patterns of Christ. It's the same with prayer, worship, and service. In a way, they need to try on the things of Christianity, learn their significance and explore their meanings.

In the end, all people are judged on their knowledge, understanding, and conviction by the Holy Spirit: “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” (Luke 12:48).

Quotation of the Day:

Innocence is a splendid thing, only it has the misfortune not to keep very well and to be easily misled.
- Kant

1 Comments:

At Monday, May 30, 2005 11:11:00 PM, Blogger Paul Seburn said...

Hey I like this! I feel like I'm really getting blogged down, which is good.

The kingdom of God is a party! Yes i see communion as very inclusive.
May we move from a "Battle Paradigm" to a "Banquet Paradigm".

what creates interest in and humger for the kingdom of god is that communal meal, or shared coffee, or ale. all those wonderful faces full of the light of christ. oh the energy that is released!

"How good and pleasent it is for brothers to dwell in unity. it is like oil running down the head, onto the beard and down upon the garment.
it's an over abundance, a wastefull display, copious amounts like the thick dew of mount hebron. it soaks everything."

The rule and reign of the peasant king is present in a saint near you!

The word became flesh and moved into the neighborhood.

blog on bro

 

Post a Comment

<< Home