Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Captain Planet

I have recently been convicted about my own role in the over-consumerization and general crapification upon our planet (a.k.a. God's creation). Concern for the environment seems to be a more difficult issue than I believe it should be. Take care of the planet, which God has given us, and it will take care of us. This is just the way it's been understood forever. More "primitive" cultures understood this. If they didn't hunt animals properly and make full use of them or preserve the life-blood of a river system they would not survive. But our "advanced" western civilization has no need of this maxim. And furthermore, anyone who calls attention to environmental issues is labeled a whack-job, tree-hugger, or the like.

What's worse is that Christians (generalization alert) are no better. It seems like popular opinion is that Christians should be more planet-conscious than anyone else, a double standard to be sure. But, we as Christians have done with this double standard what we do with all others. Non-Christians say we shouldn't drink, swear, watch R-rated movies, eat ham and cheese together (no, wait), etc. So we feel that we have to reclaim our right to do these things and so we smoke, drink, swear, and watch all the Steven Segal movies we want. It's kind of an unspoken idea but it essentially says, "Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I have to be environmentally conscious so I will stop being so and prove that it's true." I bet that even as you read this post you have some negative reactions. Do you know why?...

Even more baffling to me is the fact that it is so, so easy to make an impact (or maybe a depact). I've started to realize how many things I waste just for convenience sake. Here are a few things I've tried to start changing:

Don't take a bag for purchased goods (think of how many plastic and paper bags West Edmonton Mall goes through in on single day)

Use a travel mug for coffee or have it to stay in mug (how many paper cups does Starbucks use?)

Buy fewer pre-packaged foods (wow! actual ingredients)

Walk, rollerblade, take transit, or at least car-pool as much as possible

How hard would it be to make these simple changes and could you imagine the difference it would make if everybody in Canada did even one of them?

As such I’m considering buying a smart car. I just don’t know how practical it would be for The House or kids for that matter.

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 15, 2005 4:04:00 PM, Blogger Matt Thompson said...

To quote Tom Sizemore, "Man is a party animal. As long as he's doing okay, who cares?"

 
At Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:20:00 AM, Blogger Rach said...

Ok, smart car? That's a little over the top. Get a hybrid car, room for friends..kids..dignity... but DO NOT get a smart car. Buy a Vespa, but DO NOT get a smart car. This is Canada, not Europe...DO NOT GET A SMART CAR!

 
At Thursday, June 16, 2005 4:13:00 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

Did I mention that you could drive from Edmonton to Calgary for $7? Who needs friends or kids when you're walkin' free and laughin' easy. And as for dignity, do you even know me?

 
At Friday, June 17, 2005 2:48:00 PM, Blogger Rach said...

I thought I did and then this smart car thing came about. If you get a hybrid car, you can do probably just about the same gas mileage I think, and then I can go with you guys...

 
At Friday, June 17, 2005 5:29:00 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

The only hybrid worth buying is the Toyota Prius and it starts at 35 large, which basically includes 4 seats, an engine, and a collectable set of fuzzy dice (which I already have). A fully tricked-out smart only sets you back 24 Gs and includes a designer paper bag so that you can look stylish and keep your dignity.

Anyway I will probably wait until they bring the four seater version to Canada and then the sweetness will be mine...oh, yes...it will be mine...as long as Erika agrees.

 
At Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:06:00 PM, Blogger Paul Seburn said...

http://presence.tv/cgi-bin/artman/exec/search.cgi?start=1&cat=37&template=search/greenzone.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home