Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Release The Hounds!

In other news: I have a nasty rash on...oh, sorry, I mean Jeff and Matt and I went to the SPCA yesterday to look at dags ("Oh, you mean dogs!"). They had mostly medium to large dogs, which may not be ideal for a house with very little yard, and despite my strong desire to have a dog, I must wait. There were 3 border collies that I think would be quite good pets for The House, but only if everyone chipped in with the walking to ensure they don't get bored (the people and the dogs).

My mom told me about a rescue effort for animals trapped and stranded in New Orleans. A pet spa (yes…I know) in Calgary is donating space and services for pets, which have been rescued. They are giving people a month to claim them and then they go up for adoption. Apparently there has been a lot of backlash over this as many people feel that it is ridiculous to put money and time towards saving animals when people are dying, stranded, and living in their own filth. I would agree, but I don’t think it's a case of either/or. The people who are rescuing animals and putting them up are not likely to be as good at rescuing people. Can you imagine Hans and Franz from the local pet spa going to New Orleans to saving refugees? I have to do some more thinking, but I like the idea of adopting a dog in need and having one less Americanized pooch in the world can't be a bad thing…can it (no offense Deb)?

I am also taking suggestions for names. I think if it's a female Casa would be a terrific name (Casa - House, get it?). Feel free to contribute.

5 Comments:

At Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dog named Satchel, then we get a cat named Bucky.

 
At Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:17:00 PM, Blogger Rach said...

Awww get a cute dog that's not big and scary. I love the name Casa for a puppy! What about Monty Python for a boy puppy? Has a certain ring don't you think?

 
At Friday, September 23, 2005 1:22:00 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

Yes. If we get a pudgy, Satchel-worthy dog we will certainly name him so. On the other hand, do we want to influence their behaviour by placing such expectations on them? I guess it comes down to the nurture vs. nature thing.

 
At Monday, September 26, 2005 8:00:00 PM, Blogger Rach said...

Thanks Plato.

 
At Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about "Jerusalem", the Golden Retriever?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home