Thursday, June 23, 2005

Crank Up The Rant Machine

Okay, at the risk of becoming a total tree-hugging, granola-eating, smart car-driving, environment freak here's another post about tree-hugging, granola-eating, smart car-driving, environmentally freaky stuff.

The more I think about how I impact my planet the more shocked I become. When did this attitude of total disregard for the consequences of our actions come into existance? Actually it's gone beyond disregard and become a non-issue; no one chooses to ignore his/her impact, we've just forgotton that there is one. Just take two seconds to stop and think about how much unnecessary waste we produce. How many napkins do you need to wipe up a spill or paper towels to dry your hands? How many lights do you need on at once? Do you need to drive everywhere? Now I'm not suggesting that we all buy hand-powered toasters, or even drive smart cars. I'm not even saying that we need to overhaul every facet of consumption or to go backwards in technology to wood stoves and no electricity. All I'm asking is that we stop and think about what we consume. Reduction is way more effective than recycling, but it's talked about less.

You don't have to run out right now and buy 100% post-consumer toilet paper, but just don't let apathy or ignorance reign. If you decide that you actually do need 20 yards of paper towel to dry your hands then so be it, but just think about it.

Tree-hugging, granola-eating, smart car-driving, environmentally freaky rant ended...for now...

5 Comments:

At Thursday, June 23, 2005 2:31:00 PM, Blogger Paul Seburn said...

sounds like you are having one intense wrestling match in this whole arena. i have too and it sounds like we need to get together to talk about it. we have some very wasteful habits which i would like to break but may need support to do so.

I don't think I have your email or number.

I'm also wanted to talk to you and Erika about "house sitting" July 1 to 7th (or so)

pseburn@shaw.ca 437 0181

 
At Thursday, June 23, 2005 2:32:00 PM, Blogger Rach said...

I think I tuned out at "smart car"

Just kidding, I like that you're not being extremist about this but just challenging us to remember. Remembering does so much more good than we could even believe.

 
At Friday, June 24, 2005 11:58:00 PM, Blogger Lightfoot said...

Dude, I got you a booklet from our wonderful Big Brother, THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA! Its called the one-tonne challenge, and it is reasonably interesting (if you are an ascetic). It has some amazing statistics (damn lies), about our high-fallutin', high-pollutin' selves. I think it made me a little embarassed. Incidentally, I have been eyeing up smart cars with much zeal as of late, and you have only been encouraging me with your last few posts... :P

 
At Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:03:00 AM, Blogger Lightfoot said...

On second thought, it appears as though some of your "changing habit" quotes are directly from that book thingo... (Note to self: Read first, then post. Bad Mack, bad.)

 
At Tuesday, June 28, 2005 6:02:00 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

Bring on the smart cary goodness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home